Recognized as the most prominent devotion to Jesus Christ in the Western Church, devotion to the Sacred Heart first appeared in Benedictine and Cistercian Monasteries in the eleventh or twelfth centuries. Several famous Benedictines, amongst them St. Mechtilde and St. Gertrude, were specially devoted to the Sacred Heart. The devotion gained a greater prominence due to the visions of St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, who received several apparitions of the Sacred Heart from 1673-1675. In this devotion, we pay homage to the Heart of Jesus, which was pierced by a lance when he was on the Cross for our sake. Water and blood flowed from his heart, symbolic of the great outpouring of the sacraments of Baptism and the Eucharist from which the Church finds life. The typical image of the Sacred Heart shows a heart surmounted by a cross and flames. A bleeding wound is clearly distinguishable in the heart and the heart is surrounded by a crown of thorns. In this devotion, we “behold the Heart which so loved man.” Jesus famously gave 15 promises to St. Margaret Mary to those who honor the Sacred Heart:
- I will give them all the graces necessary for their state of life.
- I will give peace in their families.
- I will console them in all their troubles.
- I will be their refuge in life and especially in death.
- I will abundantly bless all their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in my Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall rise speedily to great perfection.
- I will bless those places wherein the image of My Sacred Heart shall be exposed and venerated.
- I will give to priests the power to touch the most hardened hearts.
- Persons who propagate this devotion shall have their names eternally written in my Heart.
- In the excess of the mercy of my Heart, I promise you that my all powerful love will grant to all those who will receive Communion on the First Fridays, for nine consecutive months, the grace of final repentance: they will not die in my displeasure, nor without receiving the sacraments; and my Heart will be their secure refuge in that last hou
Our Sacred Heart Rosary is made with Garnet Red Glass beads with two white glass beads in the center of the decade, calling to mind the blood and water flowing from his heart. A Sacred Heart centerpiece of your choice is used with a Sacred Heart/Blessed Sacrament Medal and a Hearts and Roses Crucifix.
To purchase this rosary, click here.
Made strong, this rosary comes with our Benedict’s Beads Guarantee.